Here are some of our top tips for sipping smart this holiday season
(Smart drink recipes below)
- Fill up on water throughout the day, especially if you plan to have cocktails later that evening.
- Choose low/no sugar or lower calorie versions instead (beer, coolers – options below).
- Avoid cream-based liquors and syrupy fruit purees.
- Use non-fat milk and cream for those drinks that require milk or cream.
- Choose low calorie mixes (options below).
- Drink water between alcoholic drinks.
- Create a goal for a max number of cocktails you will be having that evening (if your goal is weight loss, aim for no more than 3 drinks).
- Remember, alcohol may increase appetite and lead to eating more, so sip slowly and practice moderation.
Calories in common alcohol beverages
Note: Calories will vary depending on size of drink. Choose wisely.
- LIGHT BEER (Bud Light, Coors Lite, Corona Light) ~ 100-110 CALORIES
- DARK BEER ~ 150-190 CALORIES
- RED & WHITE WINE (5oz glass) ~ 115-130 CALORIES
- VODKA / WHISKEY / RUM (1oz shot) ~ 70 CALORIES
- SMIRNOFF PEACHE/ROSEE COOLER ~ 90 CALORIES
- SOCIAL LITES ~ 80 CALORIES
- GIN & TONIC ~ 190 CALORIES
- RED SANGRIA ~ 200-300 CALORIES
- MIMOSA (5oz) ~ 87 CALORIES
- VODKA TONIC ~ 143 CALORIES
- MARTINI ~ 160 CALORIES
- RUM N’ COKE (reg coke) ~ 143 CALORIES
- CALORIES LONG ISLAND ICED TEA ~ 150 CALORIES
Low calorie mixes to use
ICE Sparkling Water (any flavour), Coke Zero, Mio & Water, Fresca, 10 Cal Ocean Cranberry Juice, Diet Soda
Lower calorie holiday cocktails
- Skinny Cranberry Margarita
- 1oz Tequila
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- ¼ Cranberry Juice
- 10 oz Sparkling Water (Lime)
** Even lower calories: Use 10cal Cranberry Juice*
- Ginger Snap
- 2oz Peach Ciroc
- 1 piece ginger
- 4 sage leaves
- 0.75oz Fresh lemon Juice
- 2oz Soda Water
Directions: Put the ginger and sage in a mixing tin. Muddle, then add lemon juice and CÎROC. Pack with ice and shake. Strain in a Collins glass and top with soda water. Garnish with a piece of sage.
- Cranberry Pomegranate Champagne
- 4oz Champagne
- 1 tbsp Cranberry Juice
- 4-6 Pomegranate seeds
- Sparkling Cranberry Lime Cocktail
- 1oz Vodka
- Handful of cranberries
- 2-3 Lime Slices
- ¼ Cup Pure Cranberry Juice
- 1 Cup Club Soda
- 1tsp Agave
Directions: Add the vodka into a 16-ounce tall glass. Now add a handful of cranberries and a couple lime slices. Add the ice on top. Pour in the cranberry juice followed by the club soda. Add a squeeze of lime juice (if desired) and agave to taste. Stir to combine.
- Low-Cal Whiskey Sour
- 1.5 oz Whiskey
- 1.5 oz Lemon Juice
- 1.5oz Water
- 1 Packet Stevia
- 1 Slice Lemon
Directions: Put the ingredients in a cocktail shaker half-full of ice. Shake well. Strain into a glass (rocks glass, sour glass, martini glass, or whichever glass you prefer). Garnish with lemon.
- Skinny Paloma
- 6oz Grapefruit Juice
- 1.5oz Tequila
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- Grapefruit flavoured sparkling water (optional)
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, for rim
Directions: Add 1.5 oz of tequila, 6oz of grapefruit juice, 1tsb lime juice and ice into the glass. Stir to combine, add a splash of sparkling water and garnish with lime wedge.
- Skinny Hot Chocolate
- 2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 5tsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 tsp Stevia
- 1oz Amaretto
Directions: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and turn heat to medium/high. Using a whisk or spoon, continuously mix until fully combined. Bring milk to a simmer and take off heat. Serve with non-fat cool whip and a sprinkle of cinnamon.